Blackberry OS Requirements
- Blackberry 10 devices: We support all Blackberry devices running OS 10 or higher. This includes Z10, Z30, Q10, Q5 etc. blackberry phones.
- Blackberry Playbook: All Blackberry Playbook running OS 2.0 or higher are supported.
- Legacy Blackberry devices: We support all Blackberry devices running OS 4.2 or higher. This incl. Blackberry Bold, Torch, Curve, Storm etc.
Marine Navigation Using Blacberry 10 Phones and Playbook
This is the simplest form of route assistance. Auto Follow mode (aka the moving map) is accessible by tapping on the “Auto Follow” item from the menu/overflow button. On Blackberry Playbooks this is accessible by swiping down bezel from tap and selecting "Auto Follow". Swiping down bezel from top is a standard gesture in Blackberry Playbook.
When turned on it does the following:
Continuously update device’s location on the chart.
- This is the standard moving map that shows device’s position on the chart
Real time track overlay of the course you have sailed so far.
- This shows the course you have already sailed in dark red/brown color. This gives you an idea of how you got to your current location.
Direction arrow showing a boat’s location if current course is maintained
- This is helpful to avoid any sailing hazards esp if you are sailing for fun and not following a pre-defined route.
Please note that the last two features listed above are in an update that has not yet been approved for some sales channels.
The screenshot below shows these in action.
- The yellow icon at the center is boat’s current location.
- Dark brown line is the course you’ve taken so far.
- The purple arrow shows where you will get if you stay on the current course.
Voice activated route assistance For Marine Navigation
The app supports quite a few way to import an existing route in the app. These are available as part of 'Route Manager'.
- Import an existing route in GPX/KML format using the 'Import Manager'
- Create new routes/edit existing routes.
To turn on voice activated route assistance do the following:
- Open chart, press menu and select "Route Manager"
- Select specific route, you want to follow and tap on "Follow Route"
Initially you would get a notification that says "Scan". Once the device locks to satellites, voice prompts would start.
Track distance to the next marker/way point
- When voice activated marine navigation is on, please watch the top status bar. It is continuously updated with distance to the next marker. You would also get voice prompts as you approach the marker.
Ensures that that you stay on route
- The app automatically keeps track that you are following the route accurately. If you go off route, you will be alerted with a voice prompt.
Ensures that you are sailing in right direction
- The app automatically make sure that you are sailing in the right direction. If you lose sense of direction and start sailing backwards, you would be automatically alerted by the app.
Marine Navigation Using Legacy Blackberry Devices
Follow a specific route using AutoFollow
The app supports quite a few way to import an existing route in the app. These are available as part of Import Manager.
- Import an existing route in GPX/KML format using the Import Manager
If there is a route that you regularly follow, we recommend that you record that track using the app.
Once you've imported a route to Import Manager, please follow the following steps:
Overlay route on chart
- Open chart, press menu, select Import Manger -> Specific Route
Start Auto Follow
- With the chart open, press menu button and select "Auto Follow"
- Initially you would notice "Scan" at the bottom right of your screen. It would turn to "Auto Follow" once the device locks to satellites.
Once the device locks to satellites, you can continuously see the position of your boat on a background chart with route overlay.